Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 23:12:28 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 128 PCI buses...

On Sat, Dec 06, 1997 at 01:18:03AM +0100, Johan Larsson wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Mark Mayo wrote:
>
> > Hey, I've just installed -current for the first time in ages on
> > my PPro system. Everything works fine, except the boot
> > tries to detect devices on 128 PCI buses.. Needless to say, I don't
> > have that many :-)  Only 1 in fact. Is this normal?? I've attached
> > a desg output below.. Everything works peachy, but the boot-up is
> > surprising when the 128 PCI probes go *flying* by! :-)
> >
> > Also, for the new sound code, do you just need a line like this in
> > the kernel config:
> >
> > device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
> >
> > I have an old SB-16 "classic" - i.e. not plug and play..
> > The boot messages tell me:
> >
> > 	mss_probe: no address supplied, try default 0x530
> > 	sb_probe: no address supplied, try defaults (0x220,0x240)
> > 	pcm0 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 on isa
> >
> Well, you have your audiodevice as audio0 now. Try to cat an audiofile to
> /dev/audio0 and you will probably hear something :-)
>
> The sb_probe line just tells you that it will try to probe at adress
> 0x220 and 0x240. And it seems to succeed just fine :-)

Oh, I get it! :-)

Unfortunately, it wouldn't work - I'd get sound, but not exactly
what you'd call pleasant sound! Lot's a screaching, static, hissing..
great techno garble, but quite unpleasant otherwise :-)

> You can change your config line to:
>
> device pcm0 at isa? port 0x220 tty irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

I tried that. Is that the only line you're supposed to have for sound?
I went back to the old snd0,sb0,sbxvi0,sbmidi0,opl0 combo and that works fine.
I even got sound in xquake - although it crashed and somehow nuked my
Shared memory.. (shmget from anything now fails..).

Thanks for the explanation,
-Mark

> 	Johan
> --
>   * mailto:gozer@ludd.luth.se * http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/gozer/ *
>   * Powered by FreeBSD. http://www.se.freebsd.org/ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ *

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU