Date:      Sat, 07 May 2011 10:55:52 +0200
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Double installation of liblzma.so.5 breaks libarchive.so.5

Am 06.05.2011 20:37, schrieb Michael Hoffmann:

> I cannot reconstruct why 'pkgdb -Fu' did not tried to prevent me from
> using 'archivers/xz' furthermore, allthough it now seems to be marked as
> IGNORE. I also don't know how this LD_LIBRARY thing ever popped up in
> csh.cshrc, but it seems to persist there from at least 7.2. Newer systems
> don't seem to have such an entry.

Michael,

It's apparently not designed to do that.  Does "portmaster
--check-depends" complain?  It's a shell script from
ports-mgmt/portmaster, just install and run it, it's lightweight (as
opposed to portupgrade).

Was your library path in csh created or suggested by pth-related ports?

(Perhaps there could be something in the ports framework that warns if
port duplicates base system functionality and suggests to deinstall a
port that is no longer needed -- however, that would have to work also
in cases where a newer ports is supposed to complement base system
services.  There were such situations for ssh, for instance.)