Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:28:14 +0000
From:      Xian <ml-freebsd-newbies@codepad.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   bug in sound driver

I had a problem with Ogle (my DVD player) and it turned out to be a problem=
=20
with the sound driver I'm using. I found this email in an archive that lead=
=20
me to the workaround:

<email>
Wed Mar 24 2004, John Polstra wrote:
> On 24-Mar-2004 Bj|rn Englund wrote:
>=20
> > Try setting the environment variable OGLE_OSS_RESET_BUG and then run
> > ogle and see if you still have the problem or if it works.
>=20
> Wow, that fixes it! =A0I never would have guessed that this problem had
> anything to do with audio.
>=20
> I'm a FreeBSD committer and might be able to help get our driver
> fixed. =A0Do you know whether this particular sound chip works with Ogle
> under Linux (without the OGLE_OSS_RESET_BUG work-around)? =A0If it does,
> then maybe I can see what the Linux driver is doing differently when
> it resets the chip.
>=20

No I don't know if this chip works in linux.
But this is a common problem that pops up from time to time
in different audio drivers, nothing chip/hw specific.
I suspect that driver writers forget that the device should "reset"/be able=
accept new format settings after a=20
SNDCTL_DSP_SYNC or SNDCTL_DSP_RESET ioctl,
and not just after a new open of the audio device.

/Bj|rn
</email>

Should I do anything like file a bug report? I don't know what these guys h=
ave=20
done. btw on my system `uname -a` says

=46reeBSD hercules.codepad.net 5.3-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p2 #3: Mo=
n Dec=20
20 17:20:40 GMT 2004    =20
root@hercules.codepad.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/HERCULES i386
=2D-=20
/Xian

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reas=
on=20
for existing."
Albert Einstein