Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:32:51 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with IBM ThinkPad T30 1400x1050 display?

I have a shiny new T30 which is driving me bats. It's almost
wonderful, but I have one FreeBSD show-stopper that I need to fix,
work-around, or surrender. (And I love this box too much to surrender
easily.)

The problem is that the display goes crazy from time to time. I start
X, Gnome, and Enlightenment just fine and it looks wonderful. But, if
the display is turned off by time-out (APM) or manually pressing
Fn-F3, the display will sometimes return to "normal" and some times
come up with what I can only call horizontal sync problems. I see
parts of the display repeated at various intervals across the screen.

Once the display goes into this state, it is hard to get it back other
than by re-booting. Even dropping back to a VTY does not help. Playing
with vidcontrol will occasionally get it back, but I have not found a
reliable incantation to do the trick.

I also had the video go bad during the installation after configuring
X. After that the text display was all messed up and I had to bail out
and re-start the sysinstall.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas on working about it.

I hope to try running it with 1280x1024 display and see it it makes a
difference.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)