Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 08:50:44 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, aw1@stade.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Apache13 port under FreeBSD 3.0-BETA (ELF)

On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 10:01:06AM +0100, Adrian Wontroba wrote:

> On an ELF system (3.0-BETA, cvsup'd circa 0500 GMT on Sunday 27
> September), the apache13 port compiles OK, but fails in the elf loader
> when run. Regrettably, I did not script the session or write the error
> message down. Yes, negligence on my part (8-(

It's been broken since E-DAY here.

> I did succeed in forcing it to work (I hesitate to say that this is a
> solution) by:
>
> Adding --disable-shared=all to the configuration directives in the port
> Makefile.

Works fine as long as you don't want or didn't need Run-Time Shared
Object support.  From my observation, it's Apache's assumptions about
FreeBSD's loader (in Configure) that are broken.

> This may be of use to anybody using a current ELF system. Time
> permitting, I'll take a closer look this weekend - and at least capture
> the actual error message.

Here's what I get on volta.physics.purdue.edu, just CVSup'd and running
BETA from 2-3 days ago:

===>   Registering installation for apache-1.3.2

# volta root /usr/ports/www/apache13 # /usr/local/sbin/httpd

Syntax error on line 28 of /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_info.so into server: /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_info.so: Undefined symbol "ap_user_id"

This is the elf loader (ld.so) complaining that it cant resolve symbolic
names.  Based on the symbol names, I assume that ap_user_id is defined
in the httpd binary, and mod_info.so wants to reference it.  If I remember
from my Linux days, there is some trickery needed to export the names.

Another gotcha I found (I don't have this fixed yet) is that FreeBSD aout
apparently wants symbolic names in .so files to begin with underscore,
which FreeBSD elf apprently doesn't want/require.  Apache groks this
entirely wrong.

For now patches should do, but eventually Apache's Configure should take
care of this, IMNSHO.

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn, Computer Systems Engineer         <csg@physics.purdue.edu>
Physics Computer Network, Purdue University