Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 17:10:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        SADA Kenji <sada@bsdclub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, girgen@partitur.se, obrien@NUXI.com, lioux@uol.com.br
Subject:   Re: Kill Netscape us ports and version 4.08. (was Re: Netscapebrowsers us versions avail. abroad)

> I see. How about new ``NEED_SECURITY_WARNING'' option for the old versions ?

I did a little more reading and it seems that a warning may be in order
for all versions.  Here's an attempt at a blurb that covers all the
problems I know about:

Versions 4.72 and earlier have security bugs which have since been fixed.
They are listed at http://home.netscape.com/security/notes/index.html .

Disabling JavaScript is recommended for all versions.  Further
information, and examples of hostile code (caution!), can be found at
http://www.nat.bg/~joro/netscape.html .

Non-U.S. versions have weak SSL.  For versions 4.72 and earlier, 128-bit
encryption is available by using Fortify.  To enable it, set WITH_128BIT
in your environment when building the package.

Before using SSL with any version, read
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-08.html .

> >> It looks to me like the only reason for the 4.73 version was to try to fix
> >> the SSL problem described in
> >> http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-05.html .  However,
> >> http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-08.html says there's still a
> >> similar problem in 4.73.  The "international" versions have crippled SSL
> >> anyway, unless Fortify is used.  The Fortify people stopped development
> >> after Netscape 4.72.  In light of all that, I think version 4.72 would be
> >> best for the users I mentioned.

I hadn't noticed before, but the Netscape folks say that in 4.73 they
fixed another bug (http://home.netscape.com/security/jscookie.html) where
users' bookmarks, and a listing of their files, could be sent to hostile
Web sites.  However, they list several ways to avoid it.
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt