Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:01:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser@remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   usb stack merges from wherever...

Hi Julian or whoever;

Is there work-in-progress to merge USB goodies into 4.x, and/or
from NetBSD into -current?

Since I'm running RELENG_4, I'd be happy to submit patches needed
to merge -current usb source into 4.x that I use.  Especially if
4.x is lacking.

In particular, I'm using current-ified versions of umass.c, and
now also ums.c, both of which appear to offer benefits over the
4.x sources.  The ums.c code would be easier to plug in as-is.
There needs to be one change made to a different file, and then
my hacked ums.c should work in both -current and 4.x.

I've built new virginal core usb.ko as a module, to make sure I
don't have any hidden hacks that make MFC'ed code work -- apart
from usbdevs additions that I'm not trying to keep track of --
and I appear to see a slight improvement with -current ums.c over
that in 4.x -- the latter would often result in random mouse movements
on my screen, which I'm not noticing with -current source.  Nothing
is obviously broken for me.

The files can be found at
https://NOSPAM.dyndns.dk/hacks/usb/ums/
(if you can't reach it when you read this, try over the weekend)

You'll need to apply the patch for usbhid.h .
If there haven't been any changes to -current's ums.c over the past
week or two (my CVS repository isn't up-to-date, and it's always
good to verify), then the ums.c file at the above URL can be diff'ed
against both -current and 4.x to see what I've done.  I don't know
what would be a candidate for -current for diff reduction, and what
would be only applicable for 4.x, so I'll leave that to someone with
experience in MFCing or MT4ing.

As usual, once my hacks have been reviewed and cleaned up (everything
I've done should be found by searching `XXX' and/or `HACK'), you should
test and make sure I haven't overlooked anything (like usbdevs), before
committing to RELENG_4.  My machine is too slow for me to do this in a
timely manner.

I also would like to submit my MFC/MT4 for umass.c, but this is a bit
more intrusive, and also probably requires a few commits to HEAD for
new functionality first.  It fixes significantly more issues for me.

Another thing I've just noticed by using a virginal base usb.ko module
instead of what I had been using, is that now I'm having uaudio isoc TD
alloc problems again, that had disappeared with my hacked code.  I don't
know how much of my hacked code is taken from Ian Dowse's megapatches,
or if my Works-For-Me hacks are candidates for 4.x if they aren't applicable
to -current.  I'll see what I can do, if there's interest to fix problems
in 4.x.

thanks
barry bouwsma