Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:35:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PREFIX with X11 ports

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Can't you make wrappers for the xwindows programs where you set
> > the variables to the appropriate values (I use XAPPLRESDIR for
> > example).
>
> I think this somewhat misses the point - moving everything out of
> /usr/X11R6 is a lot of *work*, and I'd certainly imagine that Satoshi
> has more than enough of that right now. :-)
>
> Can we just leave this as it is and stop rocking the boat when we've
> got plenty of other more important issues to deal with in the ports
> collection (like finally implementing a distfile search path so that I
> can include a CDROM's distfiles transparently in the user's search
> path)?

Actually, Jordan, Satoshi wanted to see if there was a method of moving
installs out of X11.  I volunteered to do the imake work (I like imake)
predicated on my finding a solution that Satoshi likes.  I DO know how to
make imake do that, it was a chore of getting the ports not to expect
their data in the X11 tree.  This looks like the method.

If Satoshi didn't want this to begin with, I'd let it drop.  As it is now,
I think we have a possibly acceptable path, predicated on my own testing,
and Satoshi's approval.  If it gets accepted, then I have to sweep thru
the x11 ports, fixing them one by one.  If not, I can go back to my math
package project.

> 						Jordan

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |