Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 95 11:20:17 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: X11 protocol compressor.

> I remember some time back, someone posted one of those user-mode X11
> compression tools, and now that I'd really like to play with it I can't
> find it again! :-(
>
> I remember testing it out at the time and finding a reasonable performance
> boost for a cheap solution (masquerade as server, compress on the fly).
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Terry?  Anything in your pack-rat's sack? :-)

Contrib on ftp.x.org.  Or try NCD (Network Computing Devices).  The LBX
(Low Bandwidth X) was developed by Mike(?) @ NCD and given to the X
people for inclusion.  They wanted to modify it somewhat before the
released it.  I believe the NCD code is out there under the name XRemote.

It's moderately useful for point-to-point links where the remote X
server is the only addressable device on the other end.

NCD originally implemented it for serial rhater than ethernet connection
of their X terminals to host systems where existing ethernet was too
expensive or just not there.  Later, they expanded its role to use it
on modem links, once modems caught up with higher serial speeds.

Or, you could look at the "hackers" archive.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.