Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:42:38 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java with simpler tools - question

> So when you are developing Java under FreeBSD, and if you choose to use
> basic editors and not IDEs, what references do you keep open to
> substitute for all the API and Class help that IDEs normally offer?

When *I* did Java work, all those years ago (*sigh*), I used netscape
with the standard documentation up.

Also, The Addison Wessley books were invaluable with well written
docuementation that included good examples in most classes of how to use
the functions.  However, I don't know if they've been able to keep up
with the plethora of new classes/methods in later releases.

I found that it was sometimes more work to lookup the API/Classes within
the IDE, but that may have been because I got used to doing things a
different way.

Nate