Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2012 18:49:56 -0800
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Cc:        Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com>, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCJ on ppc

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 02:58:32PM -0500, Super Bisquit wrote:
> That's good news. Thanks.
>
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Justin Hibbits <chmeeedalf@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, guys, I don't know if anyone's tried this before, but GCJ and
> > libjava both compile on FreeBSD/ppc.  I just tested this with 4.6-20111111,
> > and only compiled, haven't tried actually running anything built with gcj.
> >  My goal in doing this was to see about getting LLVM's vmkit/J3 working on
> > here, and this was the first step in doing so.  All it took to do this was
> > to add the line 'powerpc-*-*) ;;' at line 3144 (I can provide a patch for
> > the port later, these are just simple instructions to get it to compile).
> >
> > Happy hacking, maybe we'll get a JVM on ppc soon.

IIRC one should be able to get the openjdk7 port working on powerpc with
the Zero VM at least.  We've at one point had Zero working on both
FreeBSD/amd64 and FreeBSD/sparc64 and it has previously worked on Leopard/ppc
at some point.  The big problem, as usual, is the bootstrapping.  I'll be the
first to admit that is probably much easier with gcj.

FWIW.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org