Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 15:58:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problem with new biosboot?

> >   Modified:    sys/i386/boot/biosboot  disk.c
> >   Log:
> >   Make disk.c smart enough to handle disk with "OnTrack Disk manager".
> >   Make it complain if people try to boot from a partition which extends
> >   past 1024 cylinders.  This is better than a random reset...
>
> Since these boot blocks now tell me that my "partition is out of reach from
> the bios", I guess I'd better try to understand what might be wrong with my
> slice/partition configuration.  However, I can't follow the code...

The rule is simple:

	For the boot-bloks to work, no sector needed to read the kernel
	must be past cylinder 1023, because we use the bios to read in
	the kernel.

This is uncheckable, and undeterministic, so the check is:
	the filesystem from which the kernel is read, must have no blocks
	past cylider 1023.

Partition 2 is the entire slice, always.

--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'