Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 22:22:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Patrik_=C5str=F6m?= <patrik.astrom@tv3.se>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A PPP Question

patrik.astrom@tv3.se writes:
 > Im trying to configure a FreeBSD box as an ppp router.
 > I have succesfully been able to login to this FreeBSD box using ppp, but
 > im only able to access that host that im dialing in to and not the hole
 > network.

As Jay Nelson noted, you will need to make your FreeBSD machine into a
router by turning on ipforwarding in sysconfig.  You'll also need to
make sure your FreeBSD is on a public network -- your ISP must forward
all packets for the network to your FreeBSD machine, not just packets
bound for that machine.  You will then need to correctly configure
routing for each of the dialup PPP users.  If you don't have a pretty
good idea of how TCP/IP routing works, you're probably *not* going to
figure this out in a few hours.

I strongly recommend getting a copy of "TCP/IP Network Administration"
from O'Reilly and Associates, reading it from cover to cover, then
re-reading the chapter on routing at least twice, before you even start
hacking on your configuration.  IP routing isn't all that difficult, but
if you don't have a firm grasp of the basics, you're just going to make
a mess of everything.  This is the voice of experience speaking -- my
own, and of many others I've watched, helped, and gave up on because
they wouldn't listen.