Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 15:38:36 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, hannibal@cyberstation.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limiting bandwidth on a socket? (SO_RCVBUF?)

>From The Desk Of Terry Lambert :
> > What about kernel modifications?
> > In a commercial environment it can  be very beneficial to provide rate
> > control. QOS --- that ugly old OSI term or more recently reservation
> > bandwith services.
>
> That's only useful if your reservation is end-to-end, isn't it?

Nope, the concept is useful to limit the rate for a given connection whether the
connection is udp or tcp. Of course it helps if the other side also does rate
limiting but we have to start somehere ....

The other bit which you hinted at is monitoring . I would look around to
see if snmp fits this requirement. if not create a FreeBSD specific mib
to monitor the connections 8) ( I think that the  tcp/ip mibs can do the
job is just that I don't have the time to go fetch them and refresh my
memory).

	Amancio