Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:49:45 -0500
From:      Peter Johnson <locke@mcs.net>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/17965: vr (MII-bus version in 4.0 ONLY) driver

At 09:33 PM 4/13/2000 -0400, Bill Paul wrote:
>Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Peter Johnson
>had to walk into mine and say:
>

> > No, unfortunately, it didn't help.
> >
> > My test has been to download and then subsequently upload a 62 MB file
> > using FTP from my FreeBSD server to my workstation, plugged into the same
> > switch.  With the non-MII-bus drivers this transfer completes with no
> > problem.  Even with the patch, the download locked up the link after about
> > 40 meg had been transferred; it came back and finished after about 20
> secs,
> > and the "watchdog timeout" message appeared in the system log.
>
>Hm. I'm running out of ideas. I still think it could be the polling,
>but I'm not certain how to test this theory. One way to do it would be
>to comment out all of the contents of the vr_tick() routine, and then
>manually set the media with ifconfig. If the problem persists after
>you do that, then it has to be something else, which would really tick
>me off since I have no idea what it could be. Of course if it turns
>out it is the polling, then I'll still be mad since I'm not sure how
>to fix it.

Yes, the problem persists after commenting out the entire contents of the
vr_tick() routine.  In fact, it made it worse :(.  You didn't specify
whether to use the patched version or the unpatched version, so I used the
patched version.  If you want me to try the unpatched version with
vr_tick() commented out, I can do that as well.

Interestingly, I did not have to manually set the media with ifconfig;
autodetect seemed to work fine (I tested it both with autodetection and
after setting it manually: both had the same problems we've been seeing).

>Anyway, if you can try that, I would appreciate it. I'll have to see
>if I can think up a better way to debug this.

I'll try to help as much as I can.

Peter Johnson
locke@mcs.net