Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 98 11:37:16 -0500
From:      Kim Shrier <kim@tinker.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new user interface to FreeBSD administration

>// If we're going to do something now, let's stick with 90's techniques
>// at least. :-)
>
>Could you please elaborate on this ?  My preferred technique for
>system configuration is vi.  Are there any others ?  :)))

If I could add my 2 cents...  I have to manage FreeBSD boxes that are
geographically scattered in 4 different locations.  I need to be able to
ssh in and use ed or uemacs to edit the configuration files.  The only
"90's" solutions I have seen are the ad-hoc solutions in NT or the
web/java kludges that some people are putting on their products.  Neither
of these GUI approaches work well in my opinion.  I strongly recommend
that whatever you propose should be usable from a command line.  I also
strongly recommend that all data be stored in plain ascii files.

Kim Shrier
kim@tinker.com