Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:54:59 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Richard Collyer <richard@firebadger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_version: not found

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 12:16:38AM +0000, Richard Collyer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Having a small issue with a 5.4 box.
>
> When I do a make on a port I get a list of /usr/local/sbin/pkg_version:
> not found come up.
>
> Varies by the port. Surely enough there is no pkg_version in that dir
> but pkg_version -v works. Odd no?
>
> There are other pkg_info etc in there so I am assuming that the file has
> become deleted / corrupt?
>
> Anyone know this package installs these tools there so I can try a
> re-install to get them back. Been ages but I think it was port-utils or
> something similar as I don't remember them being the base install.

Since you're using an old unsupported version of FreeBSD you're
triggering some code which attempts to work around some missing
features of old releases by using the sysutils/pkg_install port.

It seems you have only a partial installation of this port,
i.e. /usr/local/sbin/pkg_info exists but pkg_version does not.

Kris