Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 15:08:25 -0300 (EST)
From:      Durval Menezes <durval@liliput.tmp.com.br>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com, michael@memra.com, hdalog@zipnet.net, dror@hopf.dnai.com, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ERROR info:747d9d asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error, other SCSI issues

Hello,

> > >Maybe Quantum's engineering does something wierd internally and doesn't
> > >test their drives on a real world activity mix that includes UNIX.
> >
> > That would be hard to believe, considering that Quantum drives ship in
> > some HP Workstations, among others...
>
> And in lots of Digital Equipment machines...
>
> In general: I have yet to hear of a manufacturer that never has 'junk'
> drive types every now and then.

In the last 6  months, 4 of the sites I do consulting for had disk failures.
All of them were using Quantum 2GB Empire drives...

Also, I recall that about 1 1/2 years ago Seagate had a disastrous run
of the Barracuda drives around (those with firmware revision level less
than 12) that locked solid under heavy disk I/O.

Best regards,
--
   Durval Menezes (durval@tmp.com.br, http://www.tmp.com.br/~durval)