Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2019 08:43:15 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sys/modules/sdio broken in .svn_revision 348842 'opt_cam.h' not found

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 7:46 PM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:
>=20
>>> Stop.
>>> make[3]: stopped in /usr/src/usr.bin/mkesdb_static
>>>=20
>>> A double waste of CPU & human time & power in a hot office.
>>> Commit bits used to be suspended for un-buildable code. I'll boot
>>> stable.
>>=20
>> Since you seem to be so focused on mean-spirited criticism of others,
>> I'm sure you'll understand when I ask...
>>=20
>> Have you *seriosly* been using and building freebsd this long and you
>> don't know that an opt_*.h file is generated as part of the build and
>> exists only in the object directory, so that searching for it under
>> /usr/src or /usr/include would be... let's see, how did you put =
it?...
>> Oh yeah: A double waste of CPU & human time.
>=20
> Personal noise is irrelevant.
>=20
> Facts:=20
> Unchecked commits broken make buildworld twice,=20
> Time was wasted by bad commits. =20
> My time ran out.=20
> Current does not benefit from commits that break buildworld.
> I (like a friend before) must switch to stable to avoid breakage.=20
>=20
> Time was, ~25 years back, when FreeBSD commiters who screwed
> the build were awarded a conical hat & took a one week holiday. A
> mild rebuke for wasting people's time, & a short refreshing
> break to go smell fresh air. No not coffee, but fresh air.

I=E2=80=99ve been following FreeBSD since 1992, before it was even =
called
FreeBSD, and I was reflecting on the =E2=80=9Cold days=E2=80=9D =
recently.  You know
what?  The old days sucked; I hold no romance for them.  There was
rampant passive-aggressive hostility, toxicity and shaming was
accepted and encouraged, and the community was pretty much an
insular and exclusionary clique. Mistakes were to be feared, not
learned from.  Any mistake was equated with a personal moral failing.
Yeah, good technical work was done, but at the expense of quickly
alienating and driving away many good people who didn=E2=80=99t want to
put up with all of that bullshit.

There=E2=80=99s no denying that it=E2=80=99s frustrating when a bug is =
introduced,
especially when it causes lost time and productivity.  Passively
accusing people of being lazy or incompetent (see your =E2=80=9CUnchecked
commits=E2=80=9D comment) doesn=E2=80=99t help fix that though.  If =
anything, it burns
out and drives away the people who are in the best position to fix the
problems. It doesn=E2=80=99t make the community or the code better in =
the
long term, even if you think that it=E2=80=99s motivating people in the =
short
term.

Please take your conical hat somewhere else and do something
productive and positive with it, I don=E2=80=99t want the toxicity in my
FreeBSD community anymore.

Thanks,
Scott