Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 09:33:37 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to boot from SCSI?

On Tue, 26 May 1998, David Kulp wrote:

> I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 on a slice of a SCSI drive that is on a
> system with 2 IDEs.
>
> I put the booteasy boot manager on the first IDE disk, but it
> simply comes up with F1/DOS.
>
> How do I make the boot manager aware of FreeBSD on the SCSI drive?

The boot manager is too small to know about a SCSI drive. Usually some
tweaking with your SCSI card options allows it to remap it to
something the BIOS knows about; but since you already have 2 IDE
drives, this is option is not easily available to you.

The simple solution is to have a small / partition on the first IDE
drive (30Mb or so), so that the machine can boot and load all the
necessary drivers, and have all the other filesystems loaded from your
SCSI drive (/tmp, /var, /usr).
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>