Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 10:31:49 +0200
From:      flumiani@infotech.it
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sendmail ups the line?

hello everybody!

I use a FredBSD box as a gateway to connect a LAN to Internet. To do this,
i followed the PPP Primer.

WHAT HAPPENS:
If the PPP is working in the background (command ppp -auto -alias
ips_connect_script) everytime an e-mail client as Eudora Light (also Elm on
the same FreeBSD system) sends a message to local address (the same for non
local addresses) makes the sendmail do a DNS request to identify the IP of
the client's box. Becouse DNS is not on the LAN but on the internet, ppp
dials out.

Well, this is what i suppose :)

Every other client i tested: ftp, telnet, pop3 and http doesn't act like
that, both using local and remote clients on the LAN.
If the ppp daemon doesn't listen in background sending mail from every
email client works fine.

I tryed to avoid this action programming sendmail.cf but nothing. Next my
LAN, FreeBSD box configuration. Can someone help me?

CONFIGURATIONS
The LAN has 192.168.0.x IPs. (for now just 2 PCs)

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1		localhost.sts-cast.it localhost
192.168.0.1		caronte.sts-cast.it caronte
192.168.0.1		caronte.sts-cast.it.
192.168.0.5		24h.sts-cast.it 24h

/etc/host.conf
hosts
bind

/etc/resolv.conf
domain	sts-cast.it
nameserver	193.43.2.1 <-- This is the nameserver of my IPS dns.nettuno.it

PPP.CONF AND SENDMAIL.CF
Ask if you need it :)

Thanks!

Federico Flumiani