Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:24:25 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Rich Wilson <wk633@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Out of file descriptors at boot

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 11:41:42AM -0800, Rich Wilson wrote:
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE on a laptop.
>  It already has W95 on one partition, and I have it
> dual booting.  I put a bare bones /bin install set on
> the DOS partition, and installed from that (I can only
> use floppy or CD, not both at once).  I then installed
> the CD-Rom, and was able to install /src/sys  I wanted
> to rebuild the kernel with a copy of the PCCARD
> config.
>
> When I boot now, I get
>
> changing root device to wd0s2a
> .: Out of file descriptors
>
> I can still mount file systems manually, and make a
> kernel, but before it finishes, it runs out of swap space.

One of the usual traps of copying /etc/defaults/rc.conf to your
/etc/rc.conf is that /etc/defaults/rc.conf contains a line that says:

    rc_conf_files="/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local"

and at the end of the script the code:

    for i in ${rc_conf_files}; do
        if [ -f $i ]; then
                . $i
        fi
    done

which will reload rc.conf from within rc.conf !

Try removing "rc.conf" from your rc_conf_files, making it:

    rc_conf_files="/etc/rc.conf.local"

and you should be fine.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]