Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 10:54:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (fquestions)
Subject:   MS Word encoding...

People,

Thanks to help from other netizens, I've made progress in turning
Adobe and TrueType fonts into something that both X and enscript
can use.  There are problems, though, and I'm hoping that somebody
on this list has some answers.

I've created *.afm and *.pfa files for a few typefaces that I'm
added to enscript.  And these print via my DeskJet as expected.
But some of the characters are missing.  The apostrophe|singlequote,
ASCII 047, doesn't print or is replaced with a garbage character.

I expected these font files to be ASCII-compliant; evidently they
are MS-Word-compliant.  Does anybody know what byte-sequence needs
to be output to print, say, a singlequote?

thanks,

gary kline

PS: Please copy me with any feedback.

--