Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 08:27:01 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Taavi Talvik <taavi@uninet.ee>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Standard Shipping Containers - A Proposal for Distributing FreeBSD

> I am trying to mirror FreeBSD distributions for ftp.ee.freebsd.org.
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm assuming you meant 'ftp.freebsd.org'.

> So far i not very successful in keeping my server up to date.

This is not FreeBSD's fault, but the fault of the Internet as a whole.
In particulr, all of cdrom.com goes off-line 3-4 times/day because
Sprint's router at CIX melts down, and it takes a couple hours for it to
come back up.  This is *silly*, and I have placed several trouble
tickets with Sprint with regard to this problem.  I understand that
these sorts of problems are common throughout the Internet, which just
isn't capable of withstanding the growth/BW it has seen in the last 12
months.

> For example last nite mirror retrieved onlyabout  50 files before ftp
> server went away. Restarting means retreieving another 30M of directory
> listing...

If you can, can you break the mirror script down into multiple targets.
That way you can at least update it incrementally, rather than trying to
get everything in on shot?

Nate