Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 00:59:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: read only root: (was Re: comments on this change please.)

As Michael Hancock wrote:

> > The shipped namedb files are non-working samples anyway.  So would
> > a commented-out
> >
> > # directory /var/namedb
>
> Did you mean /etc/namedb?

No, you wanted /var/namedb, so my offer is to put this as a hint into
the /etc/namedb/named.boot file (with some additional commentary to
explain why).  The named.boot cannot be used out of the box at all, it
always requires customization.  So by placing the hint, the local
admin could decide to move all of this over to /var/namedb/, if this
is what he prefers.

> over to it in the sysconfig file.  Actually, I didn't check if I really
> need to do this, is /etc/namedb/named.boot compiled into the FreeBSD
> named?  Nevermind, it's probably /etc/named.boot.

Yes, that's why there are extra arguments (as a hint) in sysconfig,
overriding the default config file.  (Btw., i prefer using a symlink
to /etc/named.boot myself.)

> I didn't notice the ndc utilities that come with BIND.  I started using
> these a year ago and I miss these.  e.g. ndc reload, ndc stop, ndc start,
> ndc status, etc.

They are also available in FreeBSD now.

--
cheers, J"org