Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:48:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, "T. D. Pazuzu" <pazuzu@legba.pwrtc.com>
Subject:   Re: guestgroup broken in wu.ftpd?

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Troy Settle wrote:

> From: T. D. Pazuzu <pazuzu@legba.pwrtc.com>
> >Does anyone know if the guestgroup capability of wu.ftpd 2.4.2-beta13 is
> >supposed to work?  It doesn't on my system.  It sets the home directory

I have it working on my system.

> >properly, but the chroot either doesn't get executed, or somehow fails
> >because I can type cd / and it's the real system root.  I was hoping to
> use
> >this to allow a few users to upload webpages to their home dirs, but not
> be
> >able to go anywhere else.

Do you have the users home directory as (for example)
/users/home/./username?

Are you sure that the user in question is a member of the groups defined as
"guestgroup"?

One thing that bit me, was that the wu-ftp-beta 13 wanted to put it
"support" files (ftpaccess, ftpconversions, etc.) in a totally different
directory than the default FreeBSD installation from the ports.  On my
system, they are in /usr/local/lib/ftpd.  Check the source code/Makefile to
determine where the files are supposed to be.  This one bit me for about 24
hours.
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions