Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2017 22:13:33 -0500
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans91@ksu.edu>
To:        Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@dyslexicfish.net>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 11 - /usr/bin missing [xl]zgrep/zegrep/zfgrep

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Jamie Landeg-Jones
<jamie@dyslexicfish.net> wrote:
> I've just noticed that the hard links for xzgrep / xzegrep / xzfgrep / lzgrep / lzgrep / lzfgrep
> are missing from my source-built FreeBSD 11 release.

Confirmed, but there's good reason -- see next section.

> I've tracked it down to a commit almost 2 years ago..
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin/grep/Makefile?r1=277939&r2=284345&pathrev=315687
>
> Am I really the first to notice, or am I missing something here?

Yes, but only slightly. =) If you do `grep -V`, you should find that
your system is actually using GNU grep. Please refer to:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/gnu/usr.bin/grep/ -- this one
doesn't actually install these links at all, because the source
doesn't support these invocations. See grep.c:1368-ish in my link.

> Unless bsdgrep is set to be installed as "grep" (instead of GNU grep), these 6 hard links,
> and associated manual page hard links are not created.

This is only half-true, given the above section. =) I'd like to help
change this at some point and have done some work to try to improve
bsdgrep, but I've not been finding time to poke emaste@ to see if I
can help with getting some of my work integrated.

> Cheers, Jamie

Thanks,

Kyle Evans