Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 01:36:49 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        paul@originative.co.uk
Cc:        tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp, nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de, zinnia@jan.ne.jp, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for Review: Voxware midi driver for serial ports

paul@originative.co.uk wrote in message ID
<A6D02246E1ABD2119F5200C0F0303D10FF21@octopus>:
> The Acorn used a 6502. They went on to produce a box in the UK called the
> BBC Computer. It was *way* ahead of it's time, I still have it in the
> garage. Graphics resolutions that were better than the IBM PC that came
> later, 3 channel sound capability, the ability to add a second processor, an
> OS that was really neat. It was one nice piece of kit, ahh nostalgia.

Hrm? If it was '93, it was more likely to be the Archimedes, which
came out in '87 or '88. That used the ``ARM'' home-grown processor. In
'93, it could have even been an ARM3. The ARM2 ran at a whopping 8MHz!
(well, it was 12MHz I think, but after DRAM refresh (which paused the
CPU, from memory) it was effectively 8MHz)

Gary (who misses well-designed computers like the BBC B and
      Archimedes. Makes the PC look like a pile of components which
      fell into a case and somehow managed to work)