Date:      17 Jul 2002 19:53:40 -0600
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with agpgart on current, XFree86-4, Matrox G400 video

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 18:40, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> I have a Matrox G400 Dual Head 32mb AGP card running on a dual
> Pentium III system, and I have been using XFree86-4 on my system for
> testing -current.  This worked fine for months, and I still have a
> snapshot of -current from about April 23 where it works fine.
> Sometime after that (probably mid-May), I did a buildworld and I
> started to consistently get the following errors when XDM starts:
>
> Timecounter "PIIX"  frequency 3579545 Hz
> Timecounter "PIIX"  frequency 3579545 Hz
> Timecounter "PIIX"  frequency 3579545 Hz
> Timecounter "PIIX"  frequency 3579545 Hz
> Timecounter "PIIX"  frequency 3579545 Hz
> Timecounter "PIIX"  frequency 3579545 Hz
> Timecounter "PIIX"  frequency 3579545 Hz
> drm0: <Matrox G400/G450 (AGP)> mem
> 0xe0800000-0xe0ffffff,0xe1000000-0xe1003fff,0
> xe2000000-0xe3ffffff irq 10 at device 0.0 on pci1
> error: [drm:mga_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialize the agpgart module.
> device_probe_and_attach: drm0 attach returned 12

This looks like the classic error of the agp module having been loaded by the drm because it's required, but agp doesn't probe/attach because a generic bridge driver has already claimed the agp device.

What would it take to get AGP into GENERIC?  It's useless as a module
the way most people expect it to use it, and not having it makes a
reboot required to configure X for i8x0, along with configuring the DRI.

> XDM generally did still seem to come up okay, although occasionally
> the system would panic right at that initial XDM startup.  While I
> tried a few things to fix this (including various buildworlds over
> time), I didn't really worry about it too much because I could always
> fall back to my April 23rd snapshot of -current.

April 27th was when the DRM went into -current.  Did you ever get a
dump/backtrace of the panic?  Did you have drm-kmod installed?

> I added that line, rebooted, and now XFree86-4 has no problem
> initializing agpgart when XDM starts up.  I do not know why I
> started to need that line in /boot/loader.conf, when I had never
> actually needed it before (and I've never had 'device agp' in my
> kernel).  But, I'm happy enough to have finally tracked down what
> the issue was.
Can you still make it panic after adding agp?

--
Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/