Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 01:00:03 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>
Cc:        "Aleksandr A.Babaylov" <babolo@links.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device naming convention

Marc Tardif wrote:

> If I understand correctly, wd0[a-h] will be the same as wd0s3[a-h] in a
> situation where DOS is on first slice, Linux on second and FreeBSD on
> third, right? But what if the fourth slice is also FreeBSD? In such a

Right.

> case, I'll assume you meant "booted slice" instead of "first slice", where
> the slice selected when booting will be referred to by the OS as wd0[a-h]
> which would translate to "current slice". Confirmation of my assumption
> would be appreciated.

Nope, he means "first slice", not "booted slice". I think, at some
point, it might have changed to "active partition". But the fact is that
the wd0[a-h] hack is very gross. Stay away from it, and always use full
device specification.

> > > 2. If wd0s1 is my first slice, why isn't it named wd0s0?
> > wd0s0 == wd0
> > wd0s0a == wd0a
> >
> I somehow doubt that. Considering wd0s* goes from 1 to 4 inclusively, I
> would tend to believe the first slice is wd0s1.

The above is incorrect, he misunderstood your question.

> > > 4. If I want to use /dev/wd0s2 as a raw slice for reading
> > >    and writing, what are the steps to follow?
> > You can't write several blocks near /dev/wd0s2 beginning.
> > Use /dev/wd0 with proper address
> >
> That is rather risky. Wouldn't it be safer to have a device name I could
> dedicate to some purpose. In such a case, I could chown the device to an
> appropriate username and group. Furthermore, I could avoid the unfortunate
> mistake of overwriting my current FreeBSD fs in case I get the addresses
> wrong.

He is incorrect. You can use /dev/wd0s2 any way you want, as long as you
have nothing of value there.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I demand that my picture show a handsome face, even if it doesn't look
like me."