Date:      20 Nov 1995 00:49:30 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Total lookup under -CURRENT (me too)

brian@MediaCity.com (Brian Litzinger) writes:

>> Hello, hate to bear bad  news but I've got  two total lock-ups in the  last
>> two days, each one  during news expire. I suspect  the asynchronous flag as
>> news expire will stress the disk a lot.
>>
>> I don't have a dump as the system lock up without a panic. I'll add DDB and
>> see if there is any difference.

>Just thought I'd let you know I experience similar behavior.

I'm afraid I've got to add a 'me too'...  I hadn't been recording it,
but I think our -current (not latest, 27-oct) has had more than it's
fair share of explosions, and I think most were during news expire,
although it did appears to have improved a lot when I recompiled it
without mmap() usage at all. :-(  It doesn't seem to be as fast now
though.. :-(

I've not been able to get a crash dump.  dmesg is always reset each
time.  Unfortunately the machine is remote and unattended.  I had
though of hooking up a serial console that I could monitor from one of
the machines next to it, but the machine doesn't have any serial
ports....

So, we have a machine that silently reboots with no way of knowing
what is causing it...

-Peter