Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 12:04:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Sean O'Casey Hoss" <ocasey@UGAstro.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ftp does not work

Sysadmin:

I would like to run FreeBSD on my PC at home.  I sent a message to you on
Feb 6 that detailed my hardware and the steps I took before I received the
error message "Cannot resolve hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'!  Are you sure
that your name server, gateway and network interface are configured?"
The reply I got was as follows:

Nope - this is your problem - you need to configure the things you
mention. It sounds like you have not entered a correct IP number for your
providers DNS machine. All your other problems could be a symptom of this.
Anthony Hill

So I called campus User Account Services and they verified that I have
the correct IP information for the hostname, IP address, gateway/router
address, and nameserver address.  I can reach the freebsd ftp site
manually, so it seems that the hardware and protocols are configured
correctly.  After I connect to the campus server and I switch back to
tty1, what does the sysinstall program do next?  After I connect to my
provider, should I negotiate the connection any further (enter PPP mode,
start an ftp session,...)?

Sean O'Casey Hoss