Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:45:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        gerti-freebsdq@bitart.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing based on source IP?

Gerd Knops writes:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Gerd Knops writes:
> > Note that for protection purposes, source routing is generally
> > frowned on, as it's to easily forged. You throw out packets from the
> > outside world claiming to come from the inside world, and otherwise
> > don't trust the source.
> If I understand correctly, what I want isn't necessarily the same as
> the frowned upon 'source routing' (though I might be wrong).

The key words are "for protection purposes". If you're trying to do
this to keep hostile users from doing something, it won't work very
well. If you're trying to do load or cost balancing or some such, then
it's not "for protection purposes". Just remember that forging source
addresses is pretty trivial, so if someone wants to avoid this, they will.

	<mike