Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:04:01 -0500
From:      Dave Grochowski <grocho98@students.rowan.edu>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgdb vs modular xorg

Hey,

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> I reported this problem on ports@ about a week ago.  The recent change
> to portupgrade drastically slowed down pkgdb.  My post even included a
> hackaround.  sem@ said he'd investigate, but never got around to it, I
> guess.

I've also noticed that portupgrade takes forever to update my ports when
using the X.org modular ports tree. I (mostly) fixed it by switching to
portmanager, which seems to work *a lot* faster than portupgrade.
Registering the port still takes a good bit of time, but I found that
the rest of the process was expedited with the switch.

Sincerely,
Dave Grochowski