Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2017 20:51:07 -0400
From:      Chris Gordon <freebsd@theory14.net>
To:        Ilya Bakulin <ilya@bakulin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beaglebone Black + FreeBSD + USB WiFi = WAP?

Ilya,

Thanks for the follow up. =20

> On Aug 22, 2017, at 3:11 PM, Ilya Bakulin <ilya@bakulin.de> wrote:
>=20
> Hi Chris,
>=20
> have you found the issue already?

I have not.  See below for some theories...

> If not: what does `top -Sa` show when you're running your speed test?
> Specifically what does "CPU:" line look like, and what are the top =
processes in the list?

The system stays at >90% idle through the entire test (upload and =
download).  I see 2-4% WCPU for interrupts and 1-2% for USB.

> I've had an issue with FreeBSD acting as WAP (although using =
Atheros-based NIC) some years ago,
> the problem back then was that the machine CPU was just too slow to =
process the traffic.

I had initially thought that maybe the little CPU in the BeagleBone =
wasn=E2=80=99t up to the WPA encryption or the interrupt rate + usb =
where just too much for it.  Sometimes changing channels helps for a =
little bit.  Since I=E2=80=99ve been tinkering with this little project, =
I=E2=80=99ve been paying a bit more attention to my overall WiFi =
performance and I=E2=80=99m beginning to think there are just too many =
WiFi signals nearby and congestion is just killing my overall WiFi =
performance.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Chris