Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:35:27 -0800
From:      Lapo Nustrini <lapo@seanet.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror load problem

On Dec 11, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 11:23:15AM -0800, Lapo Nustrini wrote:
> +>
> +> On Dec 9, 2005, at 6:29 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> +>
> +> >On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 12:30:35PM -0800, Lapo Nustrini wrote:
> +> >+> This time however "gmirror load" returns a "Command 'load'
> not available" error.
> +> >+> I thought gmirror must be already loaded but I can't unload
> gmirror or see a /dev/mirror directory on the system.
> +> >
> +> >Could you paste the result of the following commands:
> +> >
> +> >	# kldstat -v | grep g_mirror
> +> >	# sysctl kern.module_path
> +> >	# ls -l /boot/kernel/geom_mirror.ko
> +> >
> +>
> +> Sure thing.
> +>
> +> % kldstat -v | grep g_mirror
> +> % sysctl kern.module_path
> +> kern.module_path: /boot/modules
> +> % ls -l /boot/kernel/geom_mirror.ko
> +> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  79886 Jun 24 13:31 /boot/kernel/
> geom_mirror.ko
> +>
> +>
> +> Does this shed any light?
>
> Yes. Your kern.module_path is wrong. It should have also /boot/
> kernel/.
> If you load manually geom_mirror.ko by doing:
>
> 	# kldload /boot/kernel/geom_mirror.ko
>
> it will work.

Yes, it does work but how do I make it load automatically on boot?
(Obviously, I already have geom_mirror_load="YES" in the /boot/
loader.conf file.)

> The problem you're seeing is related to loader.rc changes probably.
> If you have loader.rc rev1.1, you should manually update to at least
> 1.2. The file should be here:
>
> 	/sys/boot/i386/loader/loader.rc
>
> I reported this problem to jmg@ which did the change and I was sure it
> was fixed somehow...
> This was some time ago, so not sure if this is the problem...

I checked the loader.rc version and it is already 1.2  (The system
was upgraded from 5.3 to 5.4 when 5.4 was released.)
The strange thing is that we have two identical servers  (load
sharing  mail and ldap systems) which run on the same hardware and
software.  The first system was converted over to gmirror without a
hitch.  This second one has the problem outlined above.
The loader.rc files are the same version on both systems.
Also, the output of:
	# kldstat -v | grep g_mirror
	# sysctl kern.module_path
         # ls -l /boot/kernel/geom_mirror.ko

is also identical on both systems.
I'm not versed enough in the detailed workings of geom to know where
to look to find what is different between the two systems.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Lapo Nustrini