Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:29:06 -0800
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Enhancing the user experience with tcsh

On Feb 10, 2012, at 2:12 PM, Andriy Gapon wrote:
> I really hate the default behavior of less where you can't quit via ^C or via
> paging through the end of file.

It's readily tunable, by setenv'ing LESS variable to contain some of:

       -e or --quit-at-eof
              Causes  less to automatically exit the second time it reaches end-of-file.  By default,
              the only way to exit less is via the "q" command.

       -E or --QUIT-AT-EOF
              Causes less to automatically exit the first time it reaches end-of-file.

       -K or --quit-on-intr
              Causes less to exit immediately when an interrupt  character  (usually  ^C)  is  typed.
              Normally, an interrupt character causes less to stop whatever it is doing and return to
              its command prompt.  Note that use of this option makes it impossible to return to  the
              command prompt from the "F" command.

While we return folks to the regularly scheduled debate on fancier .cshrc setup, I think I'd be happier with some of these changes showing up as examples, and having people try them out and look for any unexpected side effects before adopting them wholesale into the default system-wide dot.cshrc template...

Regards,
--
-Chuck