Date:      Wed, 13 Apr 2022 12:44:40 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 04:55:24 +0100
tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
> The situation as it is right now, is untenable. I can't support end users
> depending on ports that change executable names and locations
> and other properties without notice. This is like the 10th time something
> like this has happened where it's been major.

Remember that Mr. O'Hara-Smith's position is paraphrased exaggeratedly by:

"You should be happy for whatever bits devs give you, absolutely
forgiving of any mistake they make, and grateful even if they ignore your
issue. Any other response is rude."

Now I doubt that this viewpoint is shared by everyone else and I doubt Mr
O'Hara-Smith sees the subtle error in this position when trying to assert this
is a "community". Still, you work with what you observe not with what you want
to happen.

To advocate self-reliance in the face of the position he continually represents,
I would always check the commit messages for key ports in question every time
you upgrade. I know this is a PITA and likely massively replicated work on the
part of all of us, but it certainly saves running into these kinds of issues
and is something you can do yourself. Note that I rarely consider UPDATING
definitive anymore; I used to but it stopped being updated definitively. :)

Also, I would avoid getting emotional on these lists. IMO you did go there;
I completely understand why and am not berating you over it. It's just not
useful in this forum.
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - LA CA, USA - dave@dream-tech.com

When you do something, you should burn yourself completely,
like a good bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself.