Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:17:44 -0400
From:      Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>, HardenedBSD Core <core@hardenedbsd.org>, Oliver Pinter <oliver.pinter@hardenedbsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ASLR work into -HEAD ?

--=-hlLhQWqJYtOKnTorZO2D

On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 09:28 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Mar 19, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Oliver Pinter <oliver.pinter@hardenedbsd.o=
rg> wrote:
> >=20
> > On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrot=
e:
> >>=20
> >> Cool. Thanks for taking the time to look at it again.
> >>=20
> >> Shawn is in #freebsd on freenode irc, so if you/others want a more
> >> interactive review then he's there during the day.
> >=20
> > Please CC the core@hardenedbsd.org in future please, when you are
> > talking about this issue.
> >=20
> > Adrian: do you able to review the MIPS or ARM part especially or test t=
hem?
>=20
> Adrian: Do not commit the changes.
>=20
> I=E2=80=99ve gone back and re-read Robert Watson=E2=80=99s rather long re=
view and it appears
> that virtually none of that has been addressed. Until it is, do not commi=
t it. This
> code interacts with dangerous parts of the system, and the default cannot=
 be
> to just let it in because no one has objected recently. Objections have b=
een made,
> they have been quantified, they haven=E2=80=99t been answered or acted up=
on. Until that
> changes, you can assume the objections remain in place and asking again w=
ithout
> fixing them isn=E2=80=99t going to change the answer.
>=20
> Warner

Warner,

We've fixed the vast majority of the concerns raised in that review. To
say "virtually none of that has been addressed" and "they haven't been
answered or acted upon" is a blatant lie. The fact that there are so
many revisions of the patch is proof. We even made our ASLR
implementation for FreeBSD less secure by providing a mechanism in
ptrace() to disable it as requested by a member of the FreeBSD
Foundation. (This "feature" doesn't exist in HardenedBSD's
implementation.) If comments like these continue, I will remove the diff
from Phabricator and close the BugZilla ticket. FreeBSD can feel free to
pull from us, but we won't make any effort to proactively upstream our
work.

With that said, I have missed a few of the concerns raised. There's so
many comments/concerns in that review that it's easy to miss a few. I
will address them tonight and upload a new patch tomorrow.

Thanks,

Shawn Webb
HardenedBSD

--=-hlLhQWqJYtOKnTorZO2D