Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2011 19:23:27 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/144597: security/openssh-portable fails to compile with KERBEROS enabled

--8X7/QrJGcKSMr1RN

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:39:01PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> Hey people,
>=20
> I was looking over old unresolved PR's.  I came across this one:
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/144597
>=20
> When I sent a message to the submitter of the PR, the email bounced back=
=20
> suggesting that the submitter no longer uses that email address.
>=20
> I don't think it would be too hard to make the port build under the=20
> circumstances he describes.  But is ANYONE interested?  Would it be=20
> worth investing effort to make this work?
>=20
> Note that the port has ports@ as its maintainer, so it doesn't look like=
=20
> there is a lot of interest.
>=20
> Thanks, Stephen
>=20
> P.S. This one is related:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/57498
>=20
> Is this a big bag of worms?
>=20
> I can see that seems to be fixed, for example, in mail/fetchmail.

Considering that the port version is 5.2p1 and the current version in
stable/8 is 5.4p1 and greater than that for HEAD I would say it would be
much more of a benefit to get the port updated to the latest version and
then work on it from there, otherwise its a loss of time for an outdated
version.

Last time I looked at this port it was a mess with a collection of third
party patches from all over the place which I think lead to a
discrepancy in the update of the port but that's just my opinion. It
would be nice to see a simplified version of this port so it isn't such a
monster to update and have an option for a user supplied patches
directory that stands outside of the tree (user configured path) and it
just blindly attempts to apply what is in that directory. I think this
would help slim it down a little so it can consistently be bumped to a
new revision without hassle.

Something like:

# Defaults to /usr/ports/patches unless path is user specified.
WITH_PATCH_TREE?=3D/usr/ports/patches

/usr/ports/patches/ # Distributed empty. everything else user created.
|-- net
|   `-- wireshark
`-- security
    |-- gnupg
    `-- openssh-portable

Things like this would certainly make it easier for a consistent user
supplied patch to be kept local for build machines. I can't count the
times on 2 hands and 2 feet that I wanted to patch a port with a local
patch and had to continuously cp(1) a patch back to a ports tree using
rsync(1)

--8X7/QrJGcKSMr1RN

--8X7/QrJGcKSMr1RN--