Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2012 05:41:38 +0400
From:      Alexandr Alexeev <afiskon@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Full system update.

The closest equivalent of `sudo apt-get dist-upgrade` in FreeBSD is
`pkg_upgrade -a`. This tool is a part of bsdadminscripts package. If
you also wanted to upgrade a kernel, look at freebsd-update.

But don't forget that in FreeBSD all is not so simple like in Debian.
You have to monitor /usr/ports/UPDATING file and release notes for the
new branches of FreeBSD.

"Last, and really not recommended at all, you could use the existing
pkg_tools binary packages. This, however, is a trap for the newbies and
leads to much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Especially if you try and
mix stuff you compiled yourself and the pre-compiled packages."

I've been successfully using binary packages (pkg_add -r ...) and
ports in the same time for ~3 years. I don't wail and my teeth are OK.
What am I doing wrong?

--
Best regards,
Alex Alexeev