Date:      24 Feb 2003 23:48:28 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Daxbert <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Two nics installed, only one visible

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 23:35, Daxbert wrote:
> Quoting Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>:
>
> > Intel Pro100S
> > 3COM OfficeConnect (3CSOHO100B)
> >
> > At installation, I had the Intel (fxp0) connected to the switch, and it
> > was configured during the sysinstall stage. However, the 3COM nic never
> > showed up after installation in dmesg (as far as I can tell, that is):
> >
> > But the 3COM *is* picked up from scanpci:
> >
> > pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x0a function 0x00: vendor 0x10b7 device 0x9300
> >  3COM  Device unknown
> >  CardVendor 0x10b7 card 0x9300 (3COM, Card unknown)
> >
> > Am I missing something?
> >

> It would appear that from /usr/src/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h that the device id 0x9300
> is not present.  Because a reference for 0x9300 doesn't exist, you will have an
> unknown 'card', and it won't use the driver.

I was just doing a search around FreeBSD tech sites and actually, this
*specific* nic - 3CSOHO100B-TX isn't actually listed. What *is* listed
in the Handbook is:
3Com Etherlink XL-based NICs ( xl(4) driver)

3C900/905/905B/905C PCI

3C556/556B MiniPCI

3C450-TX HomeConnect adapter

3c980/3c980B Fast Etherlink XL server adapter

3cSOHO100-TX OfficeConnect adapter  <-- WHERE I WENT WRONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dell Optiplex GX1 on-board 3C918

Dell On-board 3C920

Dell Precision on-board 3C905B

Dell Latitude laptop docking station embedded 3C905-TX

In looking man xl(4) though, 3cSOHO100-TX OfficeConnect isn't even
mentioned, far less for 3CSOHO100B-TX. So it appears that I've not done
my homework on this one :-(

> I've never done this... but one option would be to edit if_xlreg.h and *add*
> support for your card and recompile and install the new kernel.

Man.., I'd like to get this working.., but I'm not sure about editing
those files - not a programmer, you see. Is the HURRICANE_SOHOTX
actually the one to edit, for instance?

> The following line exists in /usr/src/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h (RELENG_4_7)
>
> #define TC_DEVICEID_HURRICANE_SOHO100TX         0x7646
>
> maybe you could try changing this to:
>
> #define TC_DEVICEID_HURRICANE_SOHO100TX         0x9300
>
> NOTE: A *proper* solution would be to add a new line to if_xlreg.h and add
> support for this new device to if_xl.c.
>
> But for now the 0x9300 hack is worth a shot...

Thanks for that info., Get back to me with what I asked, if you can.
I'll go look around the 3COM site for more info myself.

Regards,

Stacey

> --daxbert

Stacey Roberts