Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:52:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kjetil@poltergeist.net, rb@gid.co.uk, leifn@neland.dk, adams@digitalspark.net
Subject:   Linksys conflicts with NE2000

okay i have changed the order in which we test for NE1000, NE2000, and
the Linksys (dl10016c ? ethernet controller).

pleazse test and let me know how this patch does.
hopefully the problem will be solved.

does *ANYONE* have an NE1000, the can test?

before adding in teh Linksys we tested: NE1000 then NE2000.
        NE1000 worked
        NE2000 worked
        Linksys we mistaken for an NE1000

after adding the Linksys we tested: Linksys, NE1000, NE2000.
        NE1000 worked (?? no reports for failure ??)
        NE2000 failed
        Linksys worked

try the patch in http://www.freebsd.org/~jmb/if_ed.c.patch
the order there is:
        if (NE1000-like)
                test Linksys, test NE1000
        else test for NE2000
        else
                unknown
                return ENXIO

jmb

ps.  not crazy about the form of the code
	if () {
	} else {
		if () {
		} else {