Date:      Tue, 05 Nov 2002 19:42:15 -0700
From:      Tom Ponsford <tponsford@theriver.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: machine check on AS2100A]

Hi All
Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 > Tom Ponsford writes:
 >  > Hi All,
 >  >
 >  > I'm getting a machine check on my new-toy:   an Alphaserver 2100A
4/275 RM.
 >  >
 >  > It  boots and runs 4.6.2 fine with a single cpu. But after I
supped the
 >  > current 5.0 sources from
 >  > 10/29/2002 17:39 and did a buildworld and a Generic buildkernel,
(plus
 >  > all the
 >  > other steps in UPDATING with the exception of installing world)
But after an
 >  > installkernel, I get a machine check, just after the kernel loads
and boots.
 >  >

 > Can you build a non-SMP kernel and see if that boots please?

OK . I'll build a non-SMP kernel for 5.0-CURRENT.

I'm still thinking it pukes on the pci-probe, I read somewhere, maybe
netbsd that
the 2100a handles the pci probe differentl.

But it still boots the FBSD 4.6.2 non-smp kernel just fine.

 > Nobody has ever run an SMP kernel on a 2100A, AFAIK.  The 2100A has
 > problems with multiple machine checks being reported for each machine
 > check triggered.  I wonder if you're getting a machine check for each
 > CPU.  Hmmm..

Could be. I'll build a non-SMP kernel tommorrow and send the results

Thanks

Tom