Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 19:00:21 -0400
From:      "Bert Kellerman" <bertke@iglou.com>
To:        "Matthew Dillon" <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Denial of service attack from "imagelock.com"

You need UDP connectivity to perform a successful traceroute from a UNIX
client..not TCP.  The port number it uses is invalid ( like 33,000 i
*believe* ) but of course it doesn't matter as all it does is increment the
ttl and record the router that sends it back an ICMP 'TTL expired in
transit'. Now M$ on the other hand decided to use ICMP echo requests for
traceroute on their OSes and of course alot of nets block ICMP.  So either
way, my point is that an HTTP connection doesn't necessarily mean you can
traceroute to it.  I see now you might have been saying that because of an
IP address existing you can traceroute, but just wanted to clarify :)
Thanks

Bert