Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 08:48:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE/eIDE issues

> the simple way to get it to work::
>
> install a dos partition on the drive
> (and nothing else)

Do you mean it is required to do so? What if I don't have DOS?
(I assume you mean creating a DOS partition with DOS's FDISK)

> boot BSD
> change the dos part to BSD
> use it..
>
> the secret is to make sure that you give the
> geometry that the BIOS uses

That drive has 1244/16/63. FreeBSD sysinstall partition editor
suggested 933/32/42. I entered these figures into the CMOS
labeled and installed FreeBSD (2.1.0-xxx) and still was unable
to boot - as I said, it found the boot loader but stopped
right at beginning of loading the kernel.

Has the disklabel to be rewritten everytime the geometry is
changed? I think so.