Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:05:29 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Alden Louis-Pierre <alden.pierre@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS question in regards to /etc/resolv.conf

Alden Louis-Pierre wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I'm in the process of registering with either www.godaddy.com or
> www.dyndns.org for a domain.

I've had good results from godaddy, can't say either way about dyndns.

> Now when it's time to set up my
> /etc/resolv.conf, am I suppose to continue using the nameserver that's
> provided by my ISP or the people I registered my domain
> with will give me there IP address for there nameservers?  I'm trying to
> learn how to build a web and email server. As always if someone knows a
> better register besides the 2 i listed please free to inform me.

This is not an easy question to answer.

Will you need to host your own DNS _server_?  If so, then the answer is
much more complicated.

If not, you shouldn't change anything.  Your DNS information will propogate
through your ISP's DNS servers just like it does the rest of the Internet.

Actually, even if you _do_ set up your own DNS server, you can still use
your ISP's DNS servers.  If you set up your DNS correctly, it will
propogate through your ISP's servers as well.  It's just that if you
set up your own DNS server, you'll have the option to use it instead of
your ISP's.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies