Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 2004 22:04:05 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk/geom, AoE 5.2.1

Sam wrote this message on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 23:34 -0500:
> I've got the AoE driver ported and running on
> 5.2.1.  Much faster than I anticipated; the geom
> interface is delightful.
>
> I can read and write to the disk.  I cannot,
> however, partition it and I'm soliciting the
> list for ideas as to why.
>
> If I fdisk -u an AoE device, fdisk claims all
> was successful, but in reality nothing gets written.
> Further calls to fdisk support this.
>
> I'm probably not tickling something right.  Is it
> possible I need to grease the path for the disk
> partition table in geom?  I didn't see anything of
> the like.  Maybe it's a tasting issue?

On last close (from fdisk hopefully), the provider will be passed
back for tasting since the meta data could possibly have changed..

Have you verified that the writes are hitting the disk? and that the
fdisk table can be seen from another machine?  Verified that you can
read what you write to the disk?

/me notes that these questions should probably end up on -geom and so
cc'd it.

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579