Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 21:06:35 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Stefan Hoffmeister <freebsd-ml@Econos.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wide character support - wchar.h?

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 07:51:08PM +0200, Stefan Hoffmeister wrote:

> What are the status of / plans for support of select wide character
> routines, such as the ones declared in wchar.h?
>
> Particularly, I am looking for wcsoll, towupper, and towlower - IOW, the
> whole barrage of wide character transformation and collation :-)
>
> I haven't found anything conclusive in the mailing list archives.
>
> Has anyone tried to "fake" support for these functions via iconv
> operations from wide characters to the locale charset, performing a
> "normal" toupper / tolower / strcoll, and then transforming back?
>
> I am not certain whether these two transformations would be lossy or not.

I guess I should leave the answers to someone more familiar with this
than I am (next to none), but I do believe that Takuya SHIOZAKI
<tshiozak@FreeBSD.org> is currently working on multibyte support
in -current's libc.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Do you think anybody has ever had *precisely this thought* before?