Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 10:15:00 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@headcandy.com>
Cc:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newgrp(1)

On Thu, 30 May 1996 09:24:50 -0700
 "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com> wrote:

 > This is a SysV-ism.  If I'm not mistaken, SysV needs this because you
 > can only be in one group at a time.  This means you need to constantly
 > newgrp to change group access permissions if you're moving among
 > multiple groups.
 >
 > BSD allows you to be in multiple groups at the same time, so makes
 > this command pretty much unnecessary.
 >
 > This is how I understand it, anyway.  I'm sure someone will correct me
 > if I'm wrong...

Actually, POSIX requires it, too.  I implemented a newgrp(1) almost a year
ago for NetBSD, and forwarded it on to JT (so he could play Standards Cop
with it).  It's been more-or-less put on the shelf because some other
things had higher priority.  I do plan, however, on committing it to
NetBSD very shortly after 1.2 is released.

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----